Thursday, March 12, 2009

Lucy Update

Lucy is 10 days old today. We have been home 8 days with her and we already can't imagine life without her. Pooping, peeing, eating, and sleeping are, as expected, among her favorite activities. She also likes to make faces at us (the best ones come as she works out a poo.) I swear she is going through the whole gambit of facial expressions just for practice (or maybe to see which one works out the poo the easiest.)

We are amazed by her strength already. We put her down in the middle of her crib, and invariable find that she scooches all the way to the side and lets her hands and legs hang out the bars. She seems to like PuddleDoggy coming up and sniffing her (PuddleDoggy has learned not to lick her, but you should see him come lick PuddleMama or myself after he sniffs Lucy for awhile- he gets something all pent up and he has to come let it out on us.)

Unfortunately, Lucy is not gaining enough weight so we are having to supplement with formula a bit. Breastfeeding has been our biggest struggle so far, but we are working very hard to get it working efficiently and pain-free for everyone. Personally (selfishly) I have enjoyed being able to feed Lucky a bottle here and there.

We've had quite a few visitors, and appreciate all the gifts and cuddles and food (especially the food.) All the emails, phone calls, and visits are quite amazing and overwhelming. We are so blessed that we have so many caring people in our lives.

More soon...

2 comments:

Grandma Duluth said...

I love your updates. You are awesome parents and Lucy is very Lucky. Hang in there. Lucy thanks you for everything!

Shea said...

Hi! I know Carrie through Mandy (I didn't want you thinking I was some creepy person checking out your blog Paul!)... this is going to sound rather random and personal, but they make a silicone nipple shield (sold at Target or wherever) and it's designed to correct improper latching, but I used it for a few weeks because my daughter (born in Nov) tore me up and I was in tears every time I had to feed her. Not sure if it would help Carrie (or if that's necessarily the issue), but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in there because I remember the feeling all too well. It gets better though, hang in there Carrie!!!!!