Friday, March 6, 2009

Birth Day

PuddleMama and Lucy are both sleeping, and I'm surprisingly not exhausted (well, not exhausted to the point where I can't take a few minutes for a blog post.) The birth day was quite an epic day in my life, and the details are certainly not as exciting as the payout, but I thought I would put a timeline up for the sake of historical accuracy.

Sunday, March 1st

6:30 p.m. PuddleMama and I drop off PuddleDoggy at Resort Steve. PuddleDoggy is distracted by a rawhide and PuddleMama and I sneak off.

7:00 p.m. PuddleMama and I arrive at the hospital. We get checked into a decent-sized room where Lucy will eventually be born.

9:00 p.m. PuddleMama is given Cervidil. We found out later Cervidil has an awe-inspiring 50% success rate. I'm glad I didn't know this before.

Monday, March 2nd

Early Morning Hours: Cervidil works. PuddleMama starts feeling some contractions.

8:30 a.m. PuddleMama is dilated to 2 cm and given Pitocen to really start the ball rolling

10:30 a.m. Contractions start getting strong. PuddleMama's water breaks. It really gushes.

10:45 a.m. Two people hit $1.00 on the nuts on the Price is Right. Lucky.

11:00 a.m. Epidural is given to PuddleMama.

1:00 p.m. Puddlemama is dilated to 4 cm. After discussion with Nurse and some quick math I determine that PuddleBaby's arrival time should be between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.

1:30 p.m. Nurse can't get a good reading on the contractions. A device is inserted into PuddleMama to better track contractions. We are told that on a contraction we want the number to hit 65 on the monitor. I am reminded of the fair game where you swing the giant sledgehammer and try to ring the bell.

2:00 p.m. PuddleMama is hitting 65-70 like a champ (she totally would have won the giant stuffed bear.) Nurse says she will examine PuddleMama again between 3:00 and 3:30.

2:40 p.m. PuddleMama really wants to push. I call the nurse in.

2:45 p.m. PuddleMama is dilated to a full 10 cm (yes, a half hour before she was even scheduled to get checked again.) Time to push!

3:40 p.m. Our doctor is no where to be found. A random doctor is called in.

3:45 p.m. Lucy Una Kleczka is born.

3:46 p.m. I determine the sex of the baby and get to tell PuddleMama personally she has a baby daughter.

3:47 p.m. I snip the umbilical cord.

4:15 p.m. Grandparents are notified.

5:00 p.m. We move to post-partum room.

Wednesday, March 4th

3:00 p.m. We check out of the hospital and are unbelievably glad to be home. I go pick up PuddleDoggy and our little family is all home and together.

I know that the above is a little disappointing in that I didn't give a bit more personal take on the events, but I don't even know where to start (not to mention some of it actually is TMI, even for this blog.) In the days (years) to come I know I'll swing back and write a bit more about the actual day and my thoughts and observations, but if there is anything truly indescribable it is the birth of a child.

No comments: