Thursday, January 22, 2009

Skin to Skin

Breast-feeding class is in the books, and PuddleMama and I feel we are as informed and prepared as any new parents could be in this area. We are ready to experience and participate in the breast-feeding phenomenon (PuddleMama just a breast or two more ready than myself.)

Let me tell you one thing- if I thought breasts were pretty amazing before this class, when I think about (i.e. stare at) them now I can only think about thanking the all-knowing deity that created them. So ladies, remember this, when your guy is staring at a stranger's breasts its not necessarily a dirty, chauvinistic, ape-like response. He could, like me, be thinking of how those amazing milk factories know how to produce the exact right milk for the respective baby, or about how the breast will actually get warmer if it senses a baby is cold. So don't slap him, or throw a jealous fit, but instead *thank* him for being a sensitive, intelligent, and appreciative man. You're welcome.

Among other good "tips" (punny) we learned that skin-to-skin contact is critical for a newborn, in regards to breast-feeding, but also in regards to other health factors such as blood pressure, temperature, stress, and blood-sugar. The last is particularly important for us because of the GD. Skin-to-skin contact has been proven to help regulate baby levels. I'm fully prepared and willing to whip of my shirt when needed (although it is still up in the air whether the photo of this will be uploaded to Facebook as my profile picture.)

On a related note, I've discovered the pregnancy version of the catch-all punch-line "That's what she said." It is: "That's what got us into this mess." Examples below:

Breast Feeding Instructor: "Skin-to-skin contact is very important."
PuddleDaddy: "That's what got us into this mess."

Breast Feeding Instructor: "... take out a breast and start massaging it."
PuddleDaddy: "That's what got us into this mess."

Breast Feeding Instructor: "The sucking should be comfortable. If it's not, detach and try a new position."
PuddleDaddy: "That's what got us into this mess."

Labor Instructor: "Moms get down on all fours and dads get behind them." (this is for labor comfort positioning)
PuddleDaddy: "That's what got us into this mess."

Inquisitive Friend (to PuddleMama): "You look so amazing! Do you mind if I feel?"
PuddleDaddy: "That's what got us into this mess."

Experienced Mother: "You guys are going to be up all night long!"
PuddleDaddy: "That's what got us into this mess."

I'll end with a historical note. I was breastfed for about six months, and PuddleMama was breastfed for almost a year and a half. The world average is 4.2 years. Think how much money we could save on food. PuddleMama, if you're up for it I am!

No comments: