Monday, September 1, 2008

Pregnant Lady at the State Fair

PuddleMama and I eagerly anticipate the Minnesota State Fair every year, but this year a special vibe radiated the pre-game conversations. PuddleMamam is in her second trimester now, early enough to not feel too encumbered and overheated, but late enough to be past most of the nausea more common in early pregnancy. We're also still well in the zone of cravings and hunger. The result? A perfect, deep-fried, storm on-a-stick!

Veggie Fries, ice cream cones, pronto-pups, cheese-on-a-stick, cheese curds, and of course some Sweet Martha's! Mmmmmmm......

After we got our fill, I thought it was appropriate that we visit the birthing center, which despite my many previous state fair visits, I had never experienced. I figured I could pick up some pointers, learn some new vocabulary, and get a little more acclimated to the idea of the actual birth (only about six months away!)

As we strolled though pens of pregnant chickens, cows, sheep, and miniature horses PuddleMama and I became excited when we saw a good-sized pig that looked about ready to spit out some piglets (see what I mean about needing a vocabulary lesson?) Anyway, you might ask how we knew this miracle was about to happen. I'll tell you honestly, it was because a lady near the rear end of the pig had an arm covered in plastic deep insde and digging around in you know where.

Well, let's just say I didn't have to hold back a tear (more like a gag) when instead of a cute bouncy little pink Wilbur she pulled out a decidedly not cute, bouncy, bloody placenta. Maybe it's more miraculous if you see the piglets getting pulled out first.

After this little life lesson, PuddleMama and I quickly decided I might be better served getting my natal-word-of-the-day from reading a parenting book thanfrom this near-hands on experience. So we headed out to find more fair grub and fun.

Next year will be PuddleBaby's first fair, and we can't wait! Can a six month old eat cheese curds?

No comments: