Friday, January 4, 2008

Birth of a Blog

The idea of a blog appeals to me greatly- sharing what's important with anyone who wants to fire up a browser and waste a few minutes. I love sharing what I write with others, and the idea someone smiles or laughs or even feels a twinge of sadness based on my writings makes me feel good. As my inspired use of adjectives has just proven, my prospects of becoming a published writer are less than bleak, but a blog provides an outlet for my desire to share.

Unfortunately, all of my past blogging attempts have failed in a pitiful blog-death after several uninteresting posts followed by several months of no posting whatsoever. There are several reasons for this, which can all be traced back to the fact I just have not written about what I care about the most. Books, movies, video-games, beer, my job, sports have all been subjects of previous blog-posts, and although they are all subjects I am interested in and get excited by, they are all also subjects that produce uninspired, liked it/disliked it, skip-over-entire-paragraphs-and-not-miss-anything blog entries.

When I try to blog on more personal subjects (think Dear Diary) I have always felt weird (again note my inspired use of adjectives) about sharing my inner most thoughts, especially with anonymous Internet browser. I hold back most of what would be interesting to read about, or at least delete it soon after posting. I am not sure if this is based on fear, humility, a lack of self confidence, or something else entirely. I do know I simply don't want to open up about many aspects of my private life on a blog, and I don't view this as something I would like to change.

So here I go in another, hopefully not doomed, attempt at a blog. But this time it is different! I am writing about something more personal and more important to me than I could possibly describe with my limited adjective-spewing abilities- becoming a father. Almost as important, I want to share the experience with everyone in the world, and I know at least a few people in that world who will actually be interested in reading.

An amazing and personal subject, a built-in audience, and over-used adjectives- a recipe for a successful blog if there ever was one.

No comments: