Monday, June 1, 2009

Little Lucky's Spirit

Lucy will be baptised on June 14th. PuddleMama and I are very excited. Although my Catholic upbringing didn't produce the most devout Catholic, I do consider my spirituality, soul, and link to God to be very real. For me, it doesn't matter what denomination Lucy will be baptised in (other than some cool points for continuing family traditions) but it does matter that the baptism symbolizes her unique spirituality and the beginning of her relationship to God.

Part of the excitement includes the new special relationship Lucy will have with her Godparents- PuddleUncle (my brother Luke) and PuddleMamaBFF (Kat!) They are two people who we know will always be involved in a very positive way with Lucy's life, and who's values align very closely to our own. Based on my own experiences, I know what a wonderful deal it is to be close to a Godparent. I am closer to God through my relationship with my Godfather and step-Godmother, even if beer, baseball, and bonfires have facilitated that relationship more than rosary beads and bibles. I hope (and am very confident) Lucy will find her own unique relationship to her Godparents that in turn brings her closer to God.

We see more and more of Lucy's spirit everyday. She was very vocal today, appearing to finally realize she is the one making those gurgles, yips, and giggles. We gurgle, yip, and giggle right back at her of course. (In fact, we do it so much I found myself smiling at a coworker today like I do at Lucy when I'm trying to make her smile- in other words, with a wide open mouth and quenched up eyes. The great thing is, the coworker smiled back. I guess it works on all ages of peoples.)

Lucy's spirit is already lighting up my world, and I'm looking forward to watching it grow and bond with the world around her.